People with alzheimer's experience difficulties communicating, learning, thinking and reasoning. Problems severe enough to have an impact on an individual's work, social activities and family life.
10 warning sign of alzheimer's are :
1. Memory loss. Forgetting recently learned information is one of the most common early signs of dementia. A person begins to forget more often and is unable to recall the information later.
What's normal? Forgetting names or appointments occasionally.
2. Difficulty performing familiar tasks. Individuals may lose track of the steps involved in preparing a meal, placing a telephone call or playing a game.
What's normal? Occasionally forgetting why you came into a room or what you planned to say.
3. Problem with language. Often forget simple words or substitute unusual words, making their speech or writing hard to understand.
What's normal? Sometimes having trouble finding the right word.
4. Disorientation to time and place. May bocome lost in their own neighborhood, forget where they are and how they got there, and not know how to get back home.
What's normal? Forgetting the day of the week or where you were going.
5. Poor or decresed judgment. Those with alzheimer's may dress inappropriately, wearing several layers on a warm day or little clothing in the cold.
What's normal? Making questionable or debatable decision from time to time.
6. Problems with abstract thinking. May have unusual difficulty performing complex mental tasks, like forgetting what numbers are for and how they should be used.
What's normal? Finding it challenging to balance a checkbook.
7. Misplacing things. May put things in unusual places such as an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl.
What's normal? Misplacing key or wallet temporarily.
8. Changes in mood or behavior. May slow rapid mood swings-from calm to tears to anger- for no apparent reason.
What's normal? Occasionally feeling sad or moody.
9. Change in personality. May change dramatically, may become extremely confused, suspicious, fearful or dependent on a family member.
What's normal? People's personalities do change somewhat with age.
10. Loss of initiate. May become very passive, sitting in front of the tv for hours, sleeping more than usual or not wanting to do usual activities.
What's normal? Sometimes feeling weary of work or social obligations